Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

It seems we have different environments

Far easier than sharing files via Windows...If it was 'More Complex', I wouldn't do it...Period!

I use my desktop system on a daily basis. And I like the fact that access to data is not dependent upon network uptime. That's where all my data lives. Setting up a NAS, regardless of cost would be a separate and unnecessary redundancy for me. Why bother? One computer system for the home is just fine. Yes, both wifey and I have work laptops, but those can already access the central server when necessary. The OS is SSD based with the need for only one data disk spinning. With spares on the shelf for both should either fail.

Don't get hung up on the RAID

Certainly not. I abandoned the concept completely after using it for only a short time because it was a waste of resources. Instead, I have six offline drives that are not continually spinning their lives away. That provides plenty of redundancy in an environment that simply doesn't change that often - unlike the business systems that I support today where RAID 10 rules.

I've been in IT since 1980. :)

Edits: 03/10/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • It seems we have different environments - E-Stat 15:44:57 03/10/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.