Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Interesting power supply specs

The BDP-Pi also has an LCD display and supports external USB disks and DAC, so they have to take those into account in the power budget not knowing exactly what devices customers might attach to it.

I'm sure the BDP-Pi doesn't draw anywhere near 2A but Bryston may have spec'd it at 2A to be on the safe side should customers decide to use their own power supply. USB disks can be relative power hogs especially during spinup. And -some- DACs derrive ALL of their power from the USB port.

When I measured the uRendu I saw that its current draw was only 200mA (0.2A), maybe a tiny bit more only during bootup. With a USB DAC attached it drew a total of about 240mA from the power supply. That "extra" 40mA was for the USB receiver in the DAC. On another DAC it remained at 200mA as that DAC supplied its own power to the USB receiver. Some other DACs, like those of the Dragonfly variety and similar are powered entirely from USB and could draw even more current.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Interesting power supply specs - AbeCollins 18:09:34 03/05/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.