Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

+1

I've heard most (maybe all?) of the Museatex DACs (and certainly the Bitstream) ... they're gorgeous. And, I can vouch for their "analog-like" qualities. I could live happily with any of them -- especially with the Wright mods. And if I could find an IDAT-44m -- the one made for car audio that runs (well!) on a car battery -- I'd commit to that without a second's thought.

In addition to the various Museatex models, the OP might search out the DACs mentioned in the following thread -- most of which I've heard and can vouch for as being "analog-like" as well. Personally, I still have and use the Timbre TT-1, which is rightfully in this mix.

Two things, however:

One, if the OP intends to do computer audio right (he mentions a laptop and DSD) with one of these ancient DACs, he is going to be immediately frustrated. These are for folks trying to max out the 16/44.1 experience.

Two, none of these DACs is as satisfying as vinyl -- assuming that one finds vinyl satisfying. Even great digital is a completely different experience no matter how close to vinyl I believe my DAC is.

That said, analog and digital coexist very nicely in a single system for me, and I don't feel any pressure to devote myself wholly, or even significantly, to one or the other. The OP might consider mixing it up?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.