Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I didn't get that impression

"The quality of the recording is very important in classical and jazz. Where mp3 downloads may be tanking, we do see a continuity of collectors who want, at a minimum, lossless downloads, and also want hi-rez."

As has been the case with vinyl since it was rendered *obsolete* thirty five years ago. I think high quality recordings will still be available, albeit in an even more niche media-free environment. Mp3 downloads are tanking due to streaming providers. Unquestionably, we have more venues for entertainment and listening to music now consumes a smaller slice of that time for most everyone.

And the vast majority of consumers find 320kbps mp3 quality good enough. I buy CDs only to rip them and stick 'em on a shelf. Like millennials, I enjoy having instant access to any part of my (digital) music library across multiple playback systems. Their cost to manufacture and especially to distribute and maintain inventory has exceeded the necessary margins for profitability. Let's remember they were introduced when the first IBM PC appeared using 320k floppy drives using a 16 bit processor running at 5 Mhz with 256k of memory! Computer technology marches on ever more quickly.

Why shuffle and spin separate pieces of plastic for each selection and require large amounts of shelving for their storage?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.