Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Quiet storage

As I run a Seagate HDD to hold my music library I thought I might add a comment.

If the OP wants total silence he won't get it from one of these. They are very quiet but not absolutely silent. I sit around 2m from mine when listening. I normally cannot hear it but on the odd occasion I am aware of a very quiet "shushing" sound. To minimise this I play the tracks from memory so that the disc is not spinning all of the time (memory in this case is the SSD of my server computer). Nevertheless there is the occasional brief "zip" sound as the HDD disc spins up to deliver the next musical tranche to memory.

I would also add ( having more than one) that the Seagate HDDs seem prone to corruption although Win 10 spots this and the fix is very quick and simple. Alas on one occasion I had to reformat the drive and reload the library from a backup. However if constant running of the drive is envisaged then a NAS with appropriate discs is a better choice as external drives are not built for that intensity.

One advantage if using external HDD drives is that many (3")have their own power suppply. All of the external SSDs appear to be powered from the computer's USB bus. Not a good thing for audio purposes about which much has been written. So the advice is to find a way of getting clean power to the drive e.g. using a dedicated PS. I am just about to do this myself as soon as I buy a 500gb SSD and an Aqvox PS. I only need 500gb for now and I am hoping that as my need for storage increases over time then price will come down.

I like the general idea of that direct connection of the drive compared to that of NAS due to simplicity ( I really do not want to get caught up in some of the NAS complexities I read about here, on CA and elsewhere). However a NAS is clearly preferable ( indeed unavoidable) if more than one user and more than one listening location is required.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Quiet storage - PAR 10:29:29 02/04/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.