Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Any Classical Lovers Using Roon?

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

My preference is for an application that will rip a disc and automatically tag it correctly including cover art. Further, that the resulting rip and metadata format can be understood by any (or most) players.

My current regime of ripping using the standard combination of dbpoweramp with Pure Tunes almost meets that criterion. In fact as time has gone by its accuracy has improved so that now the required manual interventions have reduced aside from where my own preferences talke precednce e.g. selection of appropriate genre. Pure Tunes also gives me the ability to amend metadata files away from the ripping process e.g for FLAC downloads.

The resulting FLAC data file is more or less what is required. However, even though all of the data is there and all is in a standard format, media players either do not display it all (or at least the relevant fields) or use elements in a way that is not great from a classical music enthusiast's viewpoint . In fact I believe that players really need a selectable classical music view rather than attempting to fit everything into an Artist/Album/Track format only suitable for popular genres.

Anyway I will stick with JR MC unless I find something better. It still seems the most flexible in regard to playing different audio formats.

Meanwhile I will continue to visit Roon's community forum from time to time to see how it is progressing and if it reaches a point where I want to investigate further. It still seems that you need to be a Tidal subscriber to get most value from it and I don't expect any similar relationship with Qobuz for us Europeans.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.