Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Any Classical Lovers Using Roon?

I have not used Roon, but all user experiences I have read agree with your conclusions for classical music. Since I believe any scheme would require a greater or lesser degree of manual editing of classical tag metadata, my concern is how and where does Roon store these manual edits? Would my metadata be recoverable to use with a different tool if I should ever decide to abandon Roon? Maybe I missed it, but I have been unable to find out. I would not want my data and edits to be "locked in" forever in Roon.

Andy Quint of TAS is a close friend of mine. He has evaluated numerous classical tagging schemes and systems, though not Roon for the reasons above. His choice? Actually, two of them: MusiChi and JRiver. MusiChi is best for classical tagging in his view due to its extensive database. But, it is restricted in media formats to mainly RBCD, FLAC, etc. in stereo only. Since, like me, Andy prefers playback of Mch from DSD files and MusiChi does not handle those, JRiver becomes the tool of choice for tagging DSF files extracted from SACDs. Tagging is much more tedious in JRiver than in MusiChi, however.

Questions about how and where metadata is stored with these tools is clear. Andy has converted his CD library, which was MusiChi tagged, to JRiver with no problems. Both can store the metadata in the media files in industry standard file formats. He prefers a single library/player interface, which is JRiver. That is why he converted all his media files to JRiver.

I myself maintain a library of just predominantly classical, Mch SACD rips, some BD-A rips, FLAC and DSD downloads, videos, etc. (no CDs). JRiver appears to be the only library tool able to handle that diversity of media with acceptable tagging of classical albums.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.