Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Any Classical Lovers Using Roon?

Having had a bad experience with the metadata that came with a download I bought today, I started wondering if there is anything that I can use that would not involve me in hours of painstaking manual input and searching on the web for cover art etc.

When Roon started up one of their selling points was something like " Classical done right". So I am thinking of giving it a whirl.

However looking at the "problems with metadata " section on their community forum it looks as if Roon is actually not very good at classical metadata. Even recently there seems to still be a huge discussion on what it should consist of and the priorities. Behind all seems to be the usual problem of trying to fit classical music into a metadata format primarily designed for rock/pop music. I also note with surprise that Roon appears to populate its metadata for classical music ( or metadata suggestions) from a third party database. I thought that they had their own discographers. Maybe I have misunderstood.

So it appears that, given my needs, subscribing to Roon would be a waste of money and that continuing to use dbpoweramp with Perfect Tunes to populate JRiver ( with some corrections and work arounds) for my rips remains my best bet. Unsure on how to correct supplied metadata for downloads when the usual "edit ID-Tag" facility seems not to exist for some of the FLAC files downloaded.

Has anyone with experience of Roon and a predilection for classical music an opinion on this? Is it as poor as the forum seems to suggest?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Any Classical Lovers Using Roon? - PAR 18:23:47 01/31/17 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.