Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: From another thread...

I did put a nice black jacket on to make it look serious, audiophile and - most important - pricey. ;).

Ah. I removed a nice lilac-coloured jacket from the smaller leads so I could make shorter connections with tighter bends. The audio-macho look came with. NB that the pairs are slightly separated and cross at right angles. You could be right about the DC wiring but then you didn't see the first hookup . . . what would you suggest?

The 10/100MBit media converters are half the price of faster ones. The Zytek switches (as recommended on a CA thread) are also 10/100MBit only and do actually sound slightly better than the little gigabit Netgear boxes I used while experimenting. They cost slightly more so they must be better.

I agree that the LPS-1 is expensive given its low output (< 1.2 amps) but supercapacitors are an emerging technology at least in audio. They are IMHO a significant breakthrough whatever their weaknesses.

Sometimes just reviewing and rearranging your grounding scheme does more than a DAC upgrade or a new PS.

The setup shown in the pic (and, of course, the other end) took me several months to get 'right' but was such an improvement sonically over the Netgear/linear PS as suggested on your blog a few years back that I still can't quite believe it.

Yes, easily as good as a new DAC. Moving data from a remote server over optic fibre can work very well but what I learned was that you do have to do it right. Skip the regen razzamataz and you are likely to be disappointed.

++++
These EMU filters just cut the ground/shield. That you'll have with a UTP cable. Or u just don't connect the shield to the MP8. And the EMU will cope with surges/spikes.

Not so - see datasheet. They decouple data pairs with transformers as well as cut any shield. They were designed for the medical sector where lawyers seem to like protecting patients from the mains. The Baaske may also use transformers - I don't know - but the EMOs definitely do. Whether they're worth the money is a fair question (I bought mine well before I got into the fibre thing) but I know that the difference they make is readily audible even in UTP links.

As explained on the Meicord page. The jacks/plugs do cause trouble on their own. You introduce two more of them with the filter in place

I'm not sure that that's what the Meicord papers say. See also the BJ link. Both suggest that few LAN cables come even close to spec and that the biggest problem is typically the plugs. They don't seem to claim that connectors inevitably degrade the signal to below spec, only that designing quality plugs is not trivial. Obviously, any plug degrades to a degree but the suggestion that they do so to an extent that inevitably makes in-line filters useless is not supported by data or, in my case, experience.

I tried a couple of the Telegartner connectors with Excel cable and found they sounded as good as the Meicord products or, post-vasectomy, better. Both are way better than Amazonic stock but a one-metre Telegartner/Excel cable still only costs about $10, the Meicord about ten times that.

BTW, AQ LAN cables use Telegartner plugs with, I suspect, a small markup. IME, no need for screened Telegartner plugs. Both types work fine on UTP but the screened, though slightly more robust, are harder to rework.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.