Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: From another thread...

To me at least it's not new that cutting certain pairs made a difference.

Interesting - thanks for the feedback and for the RJ45>USB idea.

I didn't do any structured LAN cable comparisons, just played about with what I had to hand and pinched other folks' ideas. The Telegartner tip came from the CA forum; I genuniely thought the snippie bit was my idea but maybe I saw it somewhere. Who cares? It seems to work.

I'm wondering if LAN isolators are worth it if you go the UTP route. I heard stories that people didn't notice any differences.

I certainly hear the difference even with vasectomied LAN cables and an LPS-1. I use two, one either side of a pair of hubs sited after the media converter. I'd love to use them elsewhere but the loss of SQ is immediately apparent. H/W Quickie Piccie of the setup (moved to a desk, not on its rack).

I didn't jump on the fiber train, since the known devices have no hubs . . .

For me, the sound is definitely better with the fibre link, Zytek hubs and EMO isolators though the latter probably make less difference than the hubs. The LPS-1 was a big step up from linear PSUs.

If you were to say "you're mad", I'd probably agree. If you were then to say "there must be an easier way to do it", I'd definitely agree but, so far, I've not found it.

In any case, there comes a point where you write off the cost and effort and just play music while reminding oneself that the setup cost less than many fancy LAN cables and would, I suspect, do well in comparison.

Just wait till I've optimised it . . .

D

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.