Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Separate post for your very effective LAN tweak?

Hi Ryelands,

Friday evening I hurried of too a friend too show him your LAN tweak. And also in his system it gave a very marked SQ improvement. Even bigger as in my system.

I use these brandless OEM connectors
EAN productcode 8716065132205
See:
https://intronics.nl/en/product/keystone-and-modulaire-connectoren/modular-connectors/intronics-oem-rj45-8p-8c-modulaire-connector-for-round-cable-with-solid-conductors-td108m-

I buy these and the UTP-cable at https://www.netwerkwinkel.com

I have not done every possible cat 5e cable. For the experiment I only modified a 1,5 meter UTP cat 5e cable that sits between the Baaske LAN cable isolator and the MAC mini build-inn LAN socket. I only modified the RJ45 connecter that connects too the MAC mini LAN-socket.

Between the Merging Hapi LAN socket and the Thunderbolt LAN Adapter a LAN cat 6 cable is used that came with the Merging Hapi. I did not modify connectors on this cable.

From the Baaske LAN isolator there is about 20 meter of UTP cat 5e cable traveling through floors, walls and ceilings too the breaker panel closet. In the breaker panel closet I keep the rest of my internet equipment (cable modem/router/switch box, managed Netgear Prosafe switch, Synology DS216 NAS, D-link DIR 868-L WiFi-access point, Philips Hue bridge).

At what more locations in your wired LAN network did you also changed the connections in the RJ45 plugs?

My be I put aside Juergen Reis too quickly as just another manufacturer of highly overpriced 'High Futility Audiophool' gear. He after all also said (16:11 min) "when every thing is connected balanced than the influence of the cable is really shrinking", "too a minimum". Most HiFi manufacturers would rather die first, than admitting the need of such basic, best practice.

I looked again at the video and Juergen Reis points at 'capacitive coupling' as being part of the loop. Capacitive coupling bridges the gap and creates/closes a loop. But what exactly is the noise source (driving force), stills stays unclear too me. Same for John Swenson's text. I do believe him on his word that "some of the AC voltage on the mains sneaks through parasitic capacitances in the PS and winds up on the DC output". I wished John had taken more time not only too point at that there is a the leakage pathway from AC-side too DC-side in the PSU, but that John also would have explained how the source (driving force) is created and how the noise loop is closed (in most systems).

The above mechanism may be the same as on Page 16 in the PDF with Ugly showed too us. Just speculating.
http://www.hottconsultants.com/pdf_files/APEC-2002.pdf

"and instead connect everything via a multiplug to a single mains socket"
This is the oldest remedy I know. This was how I became aware of having a huge ground loop in my system. I temporary connected my system via a multiplug in a single mains socket because my living room needed fresh painting. This unmistakably sounded better. Which made me realize, I had a ground loop in my original setup for years.

Would you consider posting this effective tweak as a separate post?
Your effective tweak is now hidden as an off-topic subject in Mercman's post.
Not many inmates will find this magnificent tweak here in this post !

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Separate post for your very effective LAN tweak? - hfavandepas 08:08:58 01/30/17 (1)
    • I agree - Mercman 05:29:07 02/03/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.