Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Tidal - Why are there more than 2 versions of same album?

I'm not a Tidal subscriber but it is just the same on Qobuz and I expect on most, if not all, streaming services.

The reason is straightforward; There is more than one version of a given album listed because there is more than one version.

The same album can be reissued several times over its life, often being remastered each time. Sometimes it is done by the same record company, sometimes the rights in the recording pass from one company to another.

The streaming services don't ( as far as I am aware) really curate what is on theiir servers but just load what the record companies send them. So it is possible that a record released some years ago will already exist on their server but then be reissued later with a different cover even though the recording is exactly the same as the original. This results in both copies being listed by the streaming service even though they are audibly identical.

There is no way of easily determining what is the best version unless it has a reputation known to you e.g. the given record is best in the Sony reissue of 2015 or the given record is best if you can get the original Warner issue etc. Also personal taste is another relevant factor.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.