Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Comments on your post (sorry - a bit long)

that one cannot 'optimise' a system through conjecture. When optimising in the technical sense, the cause and effect of each variable is generally understood and optimisation involves the give-and-take in terms of achieving a final result.

When you talk about OS optimisation, the precise effects of many elements of the OS on audio replay quality are not known and so called 'optimisation' is based on conjecture, often speculative ones at that.

So if you say that your system is 'optimised', then you would have had to understand and install power supplies that are 'optimal'. Otherwise, if you make a small change to these and get a material change in SQ, what does 'optimisation' mean? Similarly you LAN cable and other peripherals.

Power supply interactions are complex and using two transformers back to back to provide optimal isolation' is conjecture. You are altering the source impedance significantly and it can be that you are hearing an improvement because something else in your system is 'not right'. As long as you accept that this outcome is fine (optimal for you) and do not pontificate on pseudo technical reasoning for others to follow, then this is fine by me.

As an aside, I know for a fact that, apart from filtering and current leakages, the effect of mains frequency can cause strong changes in SQ (my preferred regenerator frequency into my dac being 73 Hz ???????). As I said above, I simply have to accept that this is so for my system without dwelling into the technology and pretending that I know better than others.

As for isolation transformers, there is no substitute for spending the necessary money to buy units deigned as such and if possible have technical data to back them up.

There are transformer manufacturers who know what they are doing and can supply units to requirement at reasonable cost.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.