Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Just wondering and slightly off topic

You might be right. I own the floor standing Tannoy D500's with 8" woofer and they have a bit more weight in the lower mids vs my Thiels. They're warmer and overall slightly more 'rich' and 'robust' sounding. However, the Thiels are more transparent, tighter, and more revealing.

I use the NuWave DSD DAC down in the basement with my Thiels along with a tube integrated amp and it sounds great. The Thiels sound best to me with tube amplification and a little 'help' in the mids.

When I first moved the Tannoys into my small office listening space, I had to position them carefully to get rid of exaggerated bass but this was more of a room and speaker interaction issue. That being said, the setup sounds excellent with the more lean or neutral sounding Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC that I use in the office.

The NuWave DSD DAC sounds best in the basement along with the tube integrated driving my Thiels.

The NuWave DSD DAC isn't overly rich or robust sounding to me, but it does offer a slight bit more weight in the mids and lower mids vs the QB-9 DSD that I had. I'm splitting hairs here.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Just wondering and slightly off topic - AbeCollins 09:16:20 01/29/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.