Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I've tried it both ways

I have the Wyred4Sound uLink USB-to-S/PDIF Converter that I have tried on 3 different DACs and there was no degradation with it vs USB direct.

#1) uRendu USB port to uLink USB-to-S/PDIF converter to the S/PDIF input to my PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC -vs- uRendu USB port direct to USB input on the DAC. No perceptible degradation or huge benefit either way. I removed the uLink Converter as I didn't find it necessary in this setup. I use it elsewhere.

#2) Mac Mini computer USB port to uLink USB-to-S/PDIF converter to the S/PDIF input to my Mytek Digital Stereo192 DSD DAC -vs- Mac Mini computer Firewire port direct to Firewire input on the DAC. On this DAC I actually prefer Firewire direct by a very slight margin. The USB on this older Mytek DAC requires a proprietary driver that hasn't been updated in years and is not compatible with the recent release of Mac OS X in my setup. No problem, I use Firewire direct to DAC or the uLink Converter. Both sound just fine.

#3) uRendu USB port to uLink USB-to-S/PDIF converter to the S/PDIF input to my Accuphase DP-65v CDP DAC S/PDIF input. The older Accuphase has S/PDIF coaxial and TOSLINK Optical inputs only so the USB-to-S/PDIF converter is required in this case with the uRendu. This is in my basement setup but I also have my PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC down there. If I'm playing around with the DAC in the Accuphase CDP I use the uLink USB-to-S/PDIF converter.

Wyred4Sound uLink USB-to-S/PDIF Converter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.