Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Macbook Air/exterrnal USB hard drive (WAV files)/wireless Sonos?

Hello,

I'm trying to help a friend get some music going through her system, but so far, we're not getting it to work the way she wants (and I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Mac/Sonos issues).

Here's her current setup:

Macbook Air (hardly any hard drive, so no space for local HD music file storage)

External USB hard drive with many GB of WAV music files (over 200 GB). Apparently, she doesn't have adequate space in her iTunes (cloud?) to hold all these files.

Wireless Sonos speaker system (looks like just one speaker, but it sounds better than the tiny speaker on her computer).

Until now, she's pretty much just been using this system to stream Pandora music. This is being successfully played through the wireless Sonos speaker. Beyond this, she's relatively unfamiliar with the inner workings of her computer, and of this Sonos system. When it comes to Mac computers and Sonos, I'm rather useless as well.

Using "Finder", we can locate the music files (located on the external USB hard drive), and when we click on a particular track, the sound comes through the tiny speaker of the computer itself, but not through the wireless Sonos speaker system.

I've never dealt with Sonos -- wired or wireless -- and as mentioned, I'm almost comprehensively clueless as well when it comes to Mac (just can't seem to dig into a Mac system like I can in Windows).

Could someone please offer us step-by-step instructions for getting my friend's Macbook Air to play music from the external hard drive through the wireless Sonos speaker? Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Macbook Air/exterrnal USB hard drive (WAV files)/wireless Sonos? - willkayakforfood 13:23:40 01/25/17 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.