Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Thanks for taking the time

This discussion was about 2 things: which I can't see how could possibly be muddled.

1. Does the Sonore Rendu use a custom built mainboard from Switzerland that is designed only around playing back digital files?, (streaming from a NAS).
(The answer to that is an indisputable yes: for the reasons cited, & what the manufacturer told me: why would he lie when one can clearly see it)?

Does it sound better because of it? I hope to know soon.

2. Gordon said that he thought about building an "audiophile" mainboard but he didn't think that he'd get enough interest. I speculated that because the Sonore was a custom built mainboard that only had 1 or 2 things in common with a PC: (no USB bus, no ESATA or HD bus, no I/O capabilities, no video, no PCI, etc), and the fact that the manufacturer told me about the other aspects/parts, (linear PSU, internal damping, connector quality, processor topology, proprietary SPDIF as the only output, etc) that this was more in line with what Gordon was talking about.

The Apple TV, and the Squeezebox, and the Sonore, all are streamers. They have more in common with each other, (and an Oppo), than they do with a typical MAC or PC computer.

I do not know if I would call the PogoPlug an audiophile device. I would probably say no, because its main purpose: it does not have many of the elements required to make it a high performance audio playback device.

I did not know that it had a board in it that was common to a streamer. I would call the SBT an audiophile device because it (playback) is improved considerably by using the digital out, using an aftermarket PSU, defeating the screen, & utilizing a NAS, instead of an USB HD.

IMO, - the Apple TV is not. But the Sonore has more in common with the Squeezebox than it does with a PC. That's one of the reasons why the manufacturer CALLS the device a streamer instead of a computer.

""You can often put a pedestrian item in a pretty box, slap a big name on it and everyone goes nuts!""

I believe that that may be true but not "often:" - as it gets found out quickly enough, and if it doesn't perform better, the item gets exposed and will quickly be gone: (it happens more often in the mid-end, and low-end were less attention is paid). In Bryston's case, - the mainboard certainly is "closer" to an off the shelf product: but it's still a custom board, and we know that things like the power supply, connector quality, wiring to the connectors count for a lot.
That being said, I share your opinion of Bryston as a company, and although I disagree a little, - (I've heard some very good sounding high-current, amps from them), - I am with you.

Earlier in this thread, it was nice to get some corroboration from Gordon, that philosophically, a high performance digital playback device/transport is "better" when it has those same HARDWARE elements as other good high performance audio devices do: a very good PSU, very good connectors, removal of superfluous parts from the signal path, damping, etc. With a streamer, one still needs a processor, and therefore a mainboard: the more that you can move that board away from being multi-dimensional, the better that is going to sound. I wonder if someone will design, & somehow implement a processor without charge pumps. That will be one of the next big steps.

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

Edits: 01/07/15 01/07/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Thanks for taking the time - Sordidman 17:14:25 01/07/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.