Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: So what? - So

"sweeping conclusions like yours cannot be drawn from measurements"

That about says it all Fred, I reckon that's the only reason this is still an interesting hobby.

I'm at heart objective, but the interactions in complex systems make it tough to reliably map measurements to a particular user's system and experiences. Just not enough control. I've worked on other stuff that suffers much the same fate and food manufacturers face it daily. Their solution is usually to just add more sugar but we don't really have an electronic equivalent other than maybe "turn it up"

However going the other way, i.e. trying to find measurable differences that correlate with what a single user experiences in his system in his home is much easier and more useful.

So my take on it that audiophiles should do everything in their power to try and measure electrical differences that correlate with what they hear. There are so many less variables at that point that measurements can really help find and fix problems and optimize happiness.

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: So what? - So - rick_m 09:23:34 04/15/13 (1)
    • I agree - fmak 10:51:46 04/15/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.