Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Native DSD playback and Memory

I purchased the Mytek DAC a few months ago after reading the good things many had written about it - including Ted who had referred to my former DAC (Weiss Minerva/DAC2) in one of his posts. The Mytek was a big step up from the Minerva with PCM. But, DSD playback takes it to an even higher level.

I use Audirvana Plus running on a Mac mini equipped with 8 GB of RAM, which has seemed sufficient. The DAC is connected via Firewire.

I'm curious about Tony's mention of using HQPlayer to upsample PCM to DSD128. I will have to try this.

I recently attempted to play some DSD128 recordings I made of vinyl using a Korg MR2000s recorder, but didn't have much luck. I'm guessing DSD128 may not be supported via Firewire. I switched to recording in DSD64. These recordings sound fantastic. It's amazing how much of the natural timbre is retained - a credit to both the Korg and the Mytek. I think it's the Mytek's reproduction of timbre that has me the most impressed.

I'm crazy to enough to have recently paired the Mytek with an interconnect retailing for almost twice as much (MIT Oracle V3.2). The reproduction of timbre became even more impressive - jaw-droppingly-so on better recordings like the Esoteric remaster of Curzon's performance of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 20.

The Mytek seems to me to be a steal at its current price.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Native DSD playback and Memory - Kenny B 14:13:57 08/08/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.