Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Squeezebox + DAC suggestions

Audio Snob,

I think that's a great idea. I actually did the same thing: 18 months ago got the Touch to dip my toe in those waters. Great buy!! I have since learned how to use it, got acquainted with computer audio, found ways to optimize it for free (like Soundcheck Toolbox 3.0), and now I'm looking at adding a DAC. I have my eye on a Metrum Octave. Is it the best ever to be invented? No, but it's well reviewed, non-oversampling, simply 2 inputs, good power supply, and under $1k.

What Steve (Audioengr) tips at is his new Synchro-Mesh, which is intended to be used between the Touch and a DAC and to reclock (de-jitter) the signal from the Touch. Looks like a great product to me, but one to buy after I have a DAC.

You will need a computer where to install the server software for the Touch. If you can wire with a CAT 5 or 7 cable to the Touch, the better, otherwise wireless usually works fine, especially if you don't start tweaking the Touch. But if your computer is in your listening room, you could avoid the Touch altogether, unless you want it as a user interface.

Enjoy the ride!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Squeezebox + DAC suggestions - LewinskiH01 12:01:11 07/21/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.