Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Mainstream classical downloads at Qobuz.com

I've been a very satisfied customer of Qobuz for some time now. I agree that their selection is huge, particularly of lossless (standard-res) stuff from the mainstream classical labels. Most of it, however, is off-limits to those of us in the USA, as the labels have imposed territorial rights on their material, which Qobuz (a French site) adheres to. For example, I cannot download anything from Universal (DG, Decca, Philips), RCA, Sony, or EMI via Qobuz, which is a real bummer. On the other hand, downloading stuff from Harmonia Mundi and most other smaller, boutique labels is no problem. Also, much of the DG and Decca/Philips catalog is available as lossless (standard res) downloads via the labels' own sites.

As far as whether Qobuz's standard-res downloads are the equivalent of the corresponding CDs, I cannot say for sure, but the few I've tried sound really good to me--certainly better than any lossy file I've heard. I'd like to think that your assumption is valid.

I'm also hoping that there will be more hi-res downloads available from the major labels. Some have started to appear from EMI on HDtracks--part of their recent project of remastering their older recordings for SACD release (though several of the EMI hi-res downloads on HDtracks have no SACD equivalents yet, at least outside of Japan). HDtracks also recently made available a small handful of hi-res albums from Decca (already available on Qobuz), which I'm really grateful for.

Russell

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Mainstream classical downloads at Qobuz.com - Russell 12:47:17 07/16/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.