Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: More Comments on the Audioquest DragonFly

This place has changed. Been a while since I posted.

Thought I come here and make some quick comments on my Dragonfly experience.

Apple Mac Air 11"; 256 SSD; Pure Music; all CDs downloaded using Apple Lossless;

Dragonfly sounded OK to good into Bose Noise Canceling Headphones, which I only use on planes. I make my first flight on Wednesday; the music will sound better this next flight. But mostly I don't care how it sounds on headphones.

Sounds very good indeed as line level output into a decent stereo system. For $250 and it's lovely minimal size, it allows me to have a VERY portable suburb player with hundred of albums that will input almost any decent audio system. It's not a good as my best stuff at home. It is merely very, very good.

By the by, I did an experiment with a USB3 external hard drive ... put part of my library on it and then played back from the external hard drive. The sound just sucked ... bloated, tone was off, highs didn't sound correct. I don't know if I just didn't implement correctly ... but I suspect that SSD is an important part of the success of the sound that I obtained.

In three years or less, I predict I will be able to take with me a full library of 5,000 CDs and LPs on a small portable computer, with the 'next' generation of a Dragonfly type device, and it will sound spectacular when fed into most any reasonable audio system. That's amazing.

Willie the Squid

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: More Comments on the Audioquest DragonFly - Willie The Squid 20:23:09 07/08/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.