Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Yes, I believe you are required to

But I'm not the music police either.

A friend of mine seriously asked if me if he could copy my iTunes library comprising 30 days of music in apple lossless files and I told him no way. First of all, it would be theft from the labels and artists whether he paid me or not, and second of all I'm not giving away music that took me weeks to rip to my hard drive. I though he was nuts to even ask - he was nonplused that I said no. Sigh.

I buy a lot of music, mostly on CDs, then LPs, and lastly a few random downloads. But I do occasionally rip library CDs and CDs my friends lend me. Of course my friend reminded me of that as though there wasn't any difference between what he was asking to do versus an occasional library rip or borrowed CD rip. I don't know, maybe he's right, but degrees matter to me. Of course I shouldn't do it at all, but then no one's perfect. What this guy on Audiogon is doing is pretty obviously criminal, and I wouldn't buy from him "assuming" he isn't keeping a copy, regardless of the price.
___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Yes, I believe you are required to - JoshT 17:53:51 07/07/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.