Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Pre-loaded music?

That would clearly be ethical. Whether it is legal or not depends on the jurisdiction(s).

You didn't mention downloads, for which would be no CDs to package for shipping. Most downloads are supposedly "licensed" to the original purchaser and not transferable. If these "license" provisions stand up, then transferring the files would be legal as well as ethical. It is my understanding that some courts in the EU have ruled this way, i.e. the right of first sale doctrine applies to downloads as well as CD sales. Whether this will stand up and/or spread to other jurisdictions remains to be seen.

This issue is more complex where there are DRM "teeth" such as with Kindle books. There are also issues of inheritance upon death of licensee, sharing of accounts, etc...

In the US, according to the Constitution (assuming it's not a totally dead letter), Copyright exists to encourage the publication of creative works. It would seem that the present system is doing a rather poor job of accomplishing this. It is well past time to reassess the entire system, but given the corrupt political structure this is highly unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.