Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: More Comments on the Audioquest DragonFly

Hi Gang-

Boy this thread got heated. The DragonFly was built with the intent that it would be simple to use and require no additional drivers. This is part of the reason we decided to limit the sampling rate to 96K. In order to go beyond that Windows users would have to download a third party driver. This isn't something we think that we want to send the majority of our customers off to do.
Additionally, we decided to use the TAS 1020B and not the XMOSS chip because of size and power consumption. The 1020B is limited to 96K.

Other elements of the design mandate were that the unit had to operate from bus power, sound great, and be simple to use. adding external power supplies would have been a no-go. It would have ruined the intent of the product which is to bring great sound to a wide audience.

DragonFly will not work with any iOS device because it draws too much power. Keep in mind we are working on a device specifically for iOS and for Android called HummingBird and BumbleBee (respectively). These devices will also be asynchronous USB. They will also have rechargeable batteries built in so that they will not draw too much from the iOS and Droids. They should be available sometime early next year. That's all I can tell you for now.

Best regards,

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.