Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Operating System Jargon

There is no "right" or "wrong" here. It's a question of probabilities, i.e. the chance of a crash causing data corruption. In Mercman's particular case he made it clear that the crash didn't lose any data and that he had backups anyhow. So he was OK to take the risks. Without two backups then it would have been a bad idea.

Even if the operating system does all the proper journaling, etc., files may still be corrupted data due to a crash, and it can involve interactions between the disk hardware, the disk firmware, the operating system and the computer hardware. The people writing the code to make these things work aren't putting their life on the line, the way that parachute packers were made to do during World War II.

Crashes are one of the reasons why I am not using the Juli@ any more. The 64 bit driver crashes Windows 7 under various circumstances, such as sleep mode and conflicting attempts by ASIO application programs. In addition to much better sound, the Mytek Stereo192-DSD comes with a driver that is not perfect, but it has yet to crash the operating system.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.