Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: If you want a real goal to work for: 1kB of loaded code.

OK, I misunderstood, my fault.

Building an x86 system from the bottom - debian, archlinux, even gentoo. With debian it is simple, start with the barebone netinstall and just add the packages you want. Not complicated for a noob too - just copy the package list from web site to the terminal. Archlinux is a bit more complicated, but not that much.

But those companies you mentioned design specific distributions for their own non-x86 hardware with limited resources (memory, flash capacity, cpu power, etc.). Even logitech/slimdevices did not build their SqueezeOS from scratch, they are using a derivative of OpenEmbedded http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeOS_Build_Instructions . A relatively simple embedded solution is OpenWRT, it has a nice build system, not very complicated to add new package, rebuild an existing one with custom patches, etc. I played with it when making an internet-enabled webcam running on Asus router (WL500) for a friend of mine who had his house built by a contractor.

The question is what people gain by running a version prepared from scratch - I have no problem with having other software on my drive, as long as it is not running.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.