Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Six Years Ago - me too

well Bill I can see why you think that my cics adventures constitute a search for a better source, however keep in mind that I was answering in relation to what Merc had asked:

"I have a Reimyo CDP777 and Esoteric UX-1. Am I wasting my time with the computer setup? I guess I need your suggestions. "

There was a time where I was looking at dacs and bought one to add to my cdp. Then I was in the "better transport or stand alone cdp" dilemma. Which digital cable to get toslink or coax, etc.

Once i went to the computer for me at least that was all answered. I think it still is. The computer is a superior source over a disk medium.

Sure the specifics of the computer setup have changed and many many thanks to cics for all he has done to improve our experiences, but the general idea of a source has not changed for me.

Though if trying to improve what one has is a crime then YEP I am guilty!! Its like I bought a corvette or some hotrod, said I found THE car and am no longer looking but Bill has an issue because I got a tune up :)

Anyhow I do have a personal bs meter but often I try to use it to expose bs, which IMHO means trying ridiculous things. That certainly was the spirit I had when I tried some of cics concepts. i thought I would debunk some things and boy was I wrong. Skeptical sure, dismissive?? NO. I dont see how you can dismiss something that you havent tried.

It amazes me how many people on this board just dismiss things without trying them and somehow that means that the thing couldnt possibly work. Or worse yet throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Man if Einstein showed up on this board he would be tossed to the side for his math mistakes...yet his theories seem to hold.

Not sure what tweaks you mean by "the belts" but I have tried some crazy things. There was a time when I was playing with cables and made all kind of crazy designs from steel or graphite conductors to gel dielectrics and liquid conductors. Sure my bs meter could have stopped me but some of the things it would have stopped me from turned out to be quite useful. Besides that above one thing that I never should have tried was thin 30g magwire as speaker cables for my maggies. Heck Allen Wright said right in his cookbook that such a recipe was NOT to be used with Krells and Apogees. Well IME he got that one wrong big time.

And I still have $100+ in crystals I still need to try. Well I did try some on the tripath based headphone amp and nothing. Its not the most revealing system I imagine but so far the crystal thing is one of those tweaks that hasnt worked. Maybe I am doing it wrong. I just put them in a cloth bag and set on top of the amp. I'll see one day in the big rig what happens.

I try to have an open mind about alot of things. I KNOW that is not cool anymore...

I do take issue with your characterization of cics project as a religion. I certainly dont see it that way and well wouldnt be involved in such a thing. Cics is pretty clear that one is free to use or not use his optimizations. Religions are often very dogmatic, my way or the highway type affairs. And usually religions have some kind of guru status where only one person is in the know. Cics is not like that and has readily accepted input from many inmates and currently he isnt even driving the latest developments. This truly is an open source project.

Anyhow I do agree with you about the asio/pci card option with xp.

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.