Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

info

This is the info that I was given from Gary Gomes (now with Dolby, but he worked on this when he was at UltraAnalog):

"As to the background of I2S-e, the ‘e' does indeed stand for enhanced. It came out of the need to minimize the artifacts of digital audio clock jitter on digital audio products that need to route clocks and data beyond a few inches. It attempted to accomplish this by:

1. Use an extremely high rise time clock to minimize the effect of noise on the clock that drives the DAC (reduces clock jitter). This is based on the principal that for a given amount of noise that reaches the clock signal the faster the clock rise time, the less jitter is induced.

2. Reduce the ability of noise from reaching the clock signal by shielding the clock signals (coax cables are used).

3. Reduce the amount of noise emitted from the I2S-e clocks and data lines so that other clock signals in the audio system receive less interference noise. The coax helps in this way too.

4.Provide proper driving and termination at both ends of the cable to achieve optimum high-speed signal transmission characteristics.

5. Provide automatic sensing of clock signals so that the best clock is used in the system (when more than one clock is present)."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • info - Joe Murphy Jr 13:16:41 04/20/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.