Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: ethernet cable and sound

Wow, you have it all organized!

At the time it was just an experiment to see how much "the whole networking mess" affected the sound, or actually *if* it did at all. This is why I didn't get too involved with it, the whole thing was getting too complicated with too many variables for me to wrap my head around lol. [I did post about this with the banned or MIA Roger at the time I think he was trying Cat7 cables.]

All I really determined was that the network layout (all wired with 2 routers in the path) could cause slight differences in the sound depending on the physical layout (with the same logical layout) i.e. changing cable lengths/types and router position along those lengths.

Of course I had to leave an ethernet cable in for a short time before I could "hear" it i.e. the SBT ethernet buffer had to clear first. But for your first question, the answer is "yes" in that the buffer will play out. It seems quite forgiving of making/breaking the ethernet connection, as is proper I believe, in it's desire to keep the buffer full.

Edit: I have to correct myself here. I checked my audio notebook and I did make one significant physical/topological change after the "experiment" last summer. I originally had 3 routers, but only 2 in the path to the SBT. I removed the non-path router and replaced it with a high quality switch; everything "unimportant" (TV/BDPs/AVR/PS3) goes into this switch, which can be turned off. The Linksys router the SBT is directly connected to only has the SBT and the switch connected to it, besides the cable to the router near the computer.

Bottom line is when I'm using the SBT for music, it and the PC are the only live items on the network.

Edits: 04/14/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.