Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: " power conditioning upgrades have little effect on gear"?

"every piece of gear will benefit from a modded or aftermarket power supply and power conditioning."

Line cords, don't forget line cords and plugs and sockets and outlet covers and the metallurgy of the screw coupling the latter two and the hanging of tikis on the fuse box and...

On the other hand, have you looked at your powerline with a scope or spectrum lately? Not a pretty picture by any means. And if your stuff is like mine it's all unbalanced and probably designed by an audio guy whose whole RF experience is listening to the game on a transistor radio and doesn't know what EMC stands for.

So what we have are systems that are out of control at the system level and thus almost any alteration to them has the potential to change the performance for good, ill or just different. That's just currently part of the rich pageantry of audiophilism. It comes with the territory. And I'd it didn't, we wouldn't be chatting about it! It's part of the charm of the hobby.

Naturally, believing the above, I believe that what's good for the goose may not actually be good for the gander so he needs to sort out his own nest. It all depends on what the nest is made of, how it's assembled and the environment it's in. Enough metaphores?

Folks who generalize their experience rather than just sharing it bug me. It takes a lot of gall (and a high level of ignorance) to state that "anyone who doesn't find that hanging a rabbit's-foot keychain on their power plug gives their system more hop must either have a 'low resolution' system or bad hearing".

Maybe my system doesn't need it?

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: " power conditioning upgrades have little effect on gear"? - rick_m 09:34:27 04/13/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.