Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Belkin

There should be no audio signal going over a USB cable, only data. If there is an audio signal (i.e. a timed waveform that is correlated with the music) the design is broken, e.g. running in adaptive mode. If a USB cable effects the sound quality of a USB DAC then the USB DAC is not well designed. It may be that the best available USB DACs are not up to snuff, but if so the way to fix this is not a bunch of add-on band-aids. It is to do a better job of basic engineering. (But this is unlikely to happen because of the hockus-pokus snakoil nature of the high end audio mariet. I would look more to the pro-audio market, where the end users are technically knowledgeable so there is less room for nonsense.)

It's the same situation as with power cables. If a power cable affects the sound of the component attached it's because of poor design on the part of that component. A power cable is not supposed to be in the signal path. The situation is completely different with interconnects or speaker cables, where these wires are definitely in the signal path and have direct effect on the audio signal as well as directly interacting with the components on either end of the cable that are processing the signal.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.