Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

OH, it was discussed at tweakers asylum

Then it MUST be true!

Most fuse elements are symmetrical. Some are wound, and in one direction or another. This could represent small DC and AC inductances. However, the applied voltage in a power system is 120VAC, alternating. Each "direction" of the fuse sees current for 1/120th of a second - once in the positive going direction and once in the negative going direction. AC current does not "flow", it's a very messy migration of free electrons in one direction and then the other. Besides, if you look at any "coil" (or just a common spring) from each end, you'll find that it it "wound" in one direction or another, and that direction DOES NOT CHANGE when you flip the fuse/spring/coil around.

So, regardless of "fuse direction", the fuse element sees current in both directions.

Only fuses in a DC system could be said to have a "polarity", but even then it would be arguable that the fuse itself (as a node between two fuse clips) would be electrically identical regardless of orientation. This is barring, of course, theoretical arguments of "micro-diodic action" - in a metal with no semiconductor material in it.

These are people who change socks and hear differences. I am going to leave it at that. This is not the forum for it anyways.

If you like your fuses in a certain "direction" go for it.

So let me ask you this. If you have a double insulated component and there is no ground on the primary

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.