Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: MacMini vs Bryston BDP-1 Compared-It's

"It's less that a given PSU is linear rather than SMPS and more that it is well designed regardless of technology. One significant issue is that typical stock PSUs are notorious for noise polluting their mains supply (thereby degrading the rest of the system) whereas better units tend not to."

And you've measured this and have screen shots from your oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer to backup this audiophile perpetuated "fact" that stock power supplies are junk and need to be replaced? You know the noise spectrum that needs to be dealt with, the frequency range, amplitude, harmonics, and byproducts, for the Mac Mini as well as most PC power supplies?

And not just on the AC mains, but such noise conducted into and through the quality power supplies built into many of the audio components we use? You've seen this noise appear on the DC output side from the power supplies built by these manufacturers? Don't you think these guys have given thought to implementing noise mitigating measures at the input side of their power supplies as well as the output side where it matters to their gear?

If you are going to attack the switching power supply at the Mac or PC, you had better check every other electronic gadget and appliance in your home and replace their noisy power supplies, too. Based on audiophile paranoia I bet they are all bad and need to be replaced.

Not to diminish the quality of Swenson's power supply design but it is basically just a pi network (been around for several decades) in front of a 3-terminal voltage regulator. And as you know, it won't power a Mac or PC which is what we are talking about.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.