Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: MacMini vs Bryston BDP-1 Compared-It's

I didn't see you explain anything.

Maybe not but the effect of improved PS on computer audio sound quality IS well established, repeatable and marked. That this is the case has been reported by literally scores of list members; why it is the case has been discussed a score of times by competent commentators. Try spending less time popping at fmak and more using the list's search facility . . .

It's less that a given PSU is linear rather than SMPS and more that it is well designed regardless of technology. One significant issue is that typical stock PSUs are notorious for noise polluting their mains supply (thereby degrading the rest of the system) whereas better units tend not to.

A linear, choke-based design published on the forum by John Swenson for powering small motherboards is pretty basic as far as load regulation goes but focuses on reducing mains pollution. Going from a stock SMPS to the Swenson design gives a major SQ boost on appropriate equipment, snide remarks about "audiophile" pricing notwithstanding. (A DIY design, it costs less than £70 <$100.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.