Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

IME, Scrith is not entirely wrong

regarding his assertion that a “good” DAC should be “immune” to the upstream source (full disclosure: I have the same DAC he does).

Just this winter, I finally got into PC audio after watching from the sidelines for a couple of years. The main thing holding me back was nervosa that it would be difficult to get the “right” combination of hardware and software for optimal sound. Reading these forums gave me the impression that all kinds of stuff makes a big difference . . . and I figured I’d risk “broken” sonics if I didn’t get it just so.

Now that I’ve made the plunge, I’m finding that all these “crazy” tweaks make little to no difference in SQ. In my system/room, I hear only very small differences in: 1) choice of music player (I’ve tried Foobar, JRMC, Jplay, cPlay, and HQPlayer); 2) my dedicated, optimized PC and a generic laptop; 3) the stock USB cable and an expensive aftermarket; and 4) memory play v not. Not that I care to try but I probably could not pass a DBT with any of those. Meanwhile, I can hear no difference whatsoever btw: 1) FLAC and WAV; and 2) music files stored on my SSD v external HDD.

To be clear, I think Scrith is over-the-top to poo-poo so many consistent reports of improved SQ regarding the various tweaks but I also think the “tweak” crowd is over-the-top in claiming dramatic improvements. IMO, the “truth” lies somewhere in betwixt and starting with a “good” DAC (asych, galvanically-isolated) is a smart way to circumvent most of the nervosa.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.