Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

MacMini vs Bryston BDP-1 Compared

A guy over at Audiocircle compared a 'highly-modded' MacMini vs. the Bryston BDP-1. Anyone care to post comparisons of Computers vs. Digital Streamers or comment on his findings?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mini ingredients:
Mini configuration (bought used on Ebay) $600
Pure Music software player $139
Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable $439

USB alternative:
April Stello US USB-to-SPIF converter $449

Bryston setup:
BDP-1 music player (Street price) $1800
Morrow Dig4 AES/EBU cable $210
3rd party power cord for BDP-1 $100-$400
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I didn't throw bombastic symphonies at it but played Mahler's 4th (Ivan Fischer, Channel Classics 24/192) and Shostakovich's 5th (Cleveland Orchestra, Telarc SACD rip at 24/176k). I also used a Bill Frisell cut from gone, like a train that gets a bit congested (great tonality on that album!!). In each case the BDP-1 sailed through with less fatigue and less congestion and timing issues than the Mac Mini via USB. I simply chalk it up to my jitter argument ; i.e jitter to me sounds like what looking through sunglasses in the rain looks like...slight smearing and halos."

"I believe one other aspect that the BDP excels in is jitter, or the lack thereof. I think some of the micro-detail is gained there, but the biggest winner is complex piano music."

Edits: 04/10/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.