Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

small Compaq desktops, circa Celeron 1.7 or the Raspberry Pi?

I inherited several old Compaq D51S compact desktops after an office cleanup. Celeron 1.7 GHz, 128M, 40G 5400RPM IDE base configuration; CPU Mark rating is around 200. They are unusually quiet - I can tolerate leaving one running in my bedroom 24-7. IIRC there's just one fan, which is variable speed. IDE hard drive, sensibly located for optimum cooling, and one external 5.25" bay for an IDE CD or DVD drive. USB 2.0 support, VGA out (no DVI), two PCI slots, so you could put a good sound card in one and a SATA card in the other. CPU usage with VLC playing a lossless AIFF was 3 to 9% just now. You might find one of these at a computer recycler or Freegeek.

There's probably other worthy small desktops, but I can't recommend the IBM Netvistas of the same vintage: the office bought several of those at the same time, and most of the hard drives failed, IMHO due to poor cooling.

Get on the waiting list for a Raspberry Pi (Newark.com is distributing them in North America). Tiny, fanless, but powerful enough to play 1080p Blu-ray quality video, and open-source.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • small Compaq desktops, circa Celeron 1.7 or the Raspberry Pi? - bassbinotoko 00:38:27 04/08/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.