Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Newbie questions

I don't think anyone has addressed your question around the music file type. You want to make sure your music is in a lossless format. Lossless compression means the file size is smaller but none of the information has been lost. Lossy compression, like MP3 or AAC, means some information was thrown out to get a smaller file size.

I usually recommend using an optical connection from a computer, all thing being equal, because it avoids any potential for non-signal noise to go between the computer and the DAC. Many DACs, mine included, have a design that tries to minimize any noise that might travel over an electrical connection (e.g. coaxial or USB) but there's always a chance of really high noise. We measured some particularly high amplitude high frequency noise from a computer sound card during our initial R&D.

The downside of an optical connection is they usually have higher jitter than a very well designed coaxial output circuit. However, there are also a million ways to design a coaxial S/PDIF circuit so it's also easier to end up with variation in sound between transports that way.

I personally use iTunes on my Macs. I know some people prefer other playback software like Amarra or Pure Music. Be aware that if you choose to use one of those, there is a way to enable filters which will alter the sound on purpose. Most recently I am using Dirac Live Room Correction Suite software in my reference setup. This is to address issues with the gear and room though, not to compensate for something lacking with the original music data itself.

Streaming via Apple TV (I do this also) limits yourself to 16-bit/44.1kHz which is CD-quality but in itself should not result in worse sound. The Apple TV would use an optical connection which is subject to the issues I mentioned above.

You may be interested in Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil software if you are planning to use streaming and Apple devices.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Newbie questions - Wesley Miaw 13:13:16 04/07/12 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.