Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Review DACs with transports?

"You lot are the ones who 'beat' up inmates who don't agree with you, especially the vendors."

Sometimes I think I'm reading a foreign language when I try to decipher your posts.

"Some of the statements about what makes MACs sound best have little basis in fact, such as notebooks have 'less' electrical interference than other models. No such generalised statments can be made other than perhaps specific attributes in specific versions of hardware."

My comments are based on what I've listened to in my sytem. Here is something interesting from a review of the Meitner MA-1 DAC that Chris Connaker wrote:

"Early on in the review period, before I inquired about the intricate technical details of the MA-1, I used my Mac Pro workstation for playback through its USB interface. Immediately I notice something wrong with the sound. Every track, well recorded or not, sounded dull and the higher frequencies seemed completely cut off. The music was unappealing and could not hold my attention long enough to finish an entire track. I switched between all sample rates, playback applications, USB ports and USB cables in an unsuccessful effort to determine the cause of this subpar sound. I new what the MA-1 was capable of as I'd been listening through the Aurender S10 server via AES and S/PDIF (RCA) for weeks. I'd been thrilled with the sound up to this point. After too much dissatisfaction with the sound quality I switched to my C.A.P.S. v2.0 server with an SOtM tX-USB internal PCI to USB converter and SOtM SATA filter. The SOtM SATA filter has individual 12v, 5v, and 3,3v RF noise filters in addition to ripple noise filters. The SOtM tX-USB PCI to USB card in the C.A.P.S. v2.0 server has its own power line noise filter, individual ultra low noise regulators to power up to two attached USB devices, onboard ultra low jitter clock, onboard PCI host controller, and separate power connector. The tX-USB has an easily accessed manual switch that enables/disables sending power over the USB cable to the DAC. The MA-1 does require USB bus power for the USB input to function. As quickly as I noticed something wrong with the previous configuration I noticed how right this setup sounded with incredible details and no digital edge. Running the Meitner Audio MA-1 via USB from the C.A.P.S. v2.0 server was every bit as good as the Aurender S10 via AES if not slightly better in the bass regions. Attack and transients were simply stunning using the Meitner recommend ASIO driver and J River Media Center. Comparing this async USB setup to the Aurender's S/PDIF (RCA) output was no contest as the C.A.P.S. v2.0 server surpassed it in sound quality. Lacking a BNC output may be an Achilles heel for the Aurender S10 if an electrical S/PDIF connection is required. Switching to the C.A.P.S. v2.0 server provided a solution, but I was not entirely sure I new the cause of the problem. I had a hunch it was due to lack of galvanic isolation on the USB input. A lack of such isolation would provide the USB connected computer a direct electrical connection to the DAC's sensitive internal components. I didn't truly know if Meitner had isolated the USB input as I hadn't asked about all the technical details at this point. I followed up with the Meitner Audio team. I was told the MA-1 USB input is not isolated and this was very likely the cause of the sound quality issue I heard when using my Mac Pro workstation with its noisy power supply, spinning drives, video card, and generally noisy internal environment. The Meitner team is very learned in computer technology. We discussed the Mac Pro and how much better many of the newer computers may be when paired with the MA-1. This is because many companies are using laptop type motherboards and power supplies whether the computer is a laptop or desktop. in fact the C.A.P.S. v2.0 server is much closer to a laptop than desktop when considering the internal components. My subsequent results when using a MacBook Pro laptop fit snugly with this explanation. Using a MacBook Pro with Amarra 2.3 and iTunes the sound quality was pretty close to the C.A.P.S. v2.0 server and Aurender S10."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.