Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Newbie questions

"What they refer to is typcally a combination of DAC & Transport. You never really know how well the DAC itself performs."

Glossing over reality are you?

Your scope is too puny, what about their sensitivity to digital and analog cables and their power supply rejection and do they have longitudinal current isolation and their EMC issues in general, both emissions and susceptibility. Oh, and of course shock and Vib.

Sorting out poorly specified DAC's by listening to them sandwiched between likewise iffy sources, amplification, power sources and listeners is not all that predictive of how well it will work in my system.

But I agree with your point that the source-DAC interface is especially important in this case but it's tough to trot out an ordered list of issues since home audio systems have essentially useless specifications and controls making each unique. The situation is asinine from an engineering standpoint but seems to work at every level so I guess it's a success. True it has bred a lot of superstition at the user level but that's probably a good thing: It adds interest and zing to what would be a ploddingly predictable appliance otherwise.

Regards, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Newbie questions - rick_m 09:36:51 04/05/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.