Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Norm is 100% right when it comes to the Null hypothesis

DBTs can be valid when they produce a result, i.e. when they reject the null hypothesis. They are not valid when they do not produce a result, i.e. when they fail to reject the null hypothesis. See the link below and/or read some books or take a course on statistics, epistemology, principles of science, etc.

As to MP3s, I can not stand to listen to MP3s, but I will go so far as to admit that 320 MP3s are adequate for voice, background music, or for a quick assessment of some aspects of a musical performance. AAC is a slightly better encoding, but this primarily appears as a lower bit rate for the same quality.

From the very first, it was obvious to me that CDs were "wrong" and the best that can be said about them is that there are now some recordings that are excellent, but none that I would consider sonically outstanding. I prefer to listen to high res digital transfers of old analog master tapes than DDD digital at 44/16. The best sound today is found in high res digital at the original sample rate and it is somewhat better than transfers of analog master tapes because some of the characteristic tape distortions are missing. My sonic standard is live concerts of acoustic music. My sonic standard for reproduced music is a live microphone feed, as can be heard at a recording studio or broadcast station. I have done enough sample rate and format conversions using the best available tools to be able to appreciate the differences intrinsic to the format from those that come from the production process.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.