Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: a bit of ancient digital history...

=========
So in your estimation reducing the number of processes, changing priorities, and allocating the music process to a single core to its own does not or should not improve sound?
=========

You are mixing two aspects - noise (cpu load) and software timing (changing priorities, and allocating the music process to a single core to its own). Noise (supply lines, data lines) will affect the sound negatively. Software timing may affect resultant noise but who knows how? Why should changing rt priority change noise in a positive way, i.e. at best reduce it? It does not make any sense.

There is no direct link between the software timing and the DAC timing. The only linking element is the noise. Yes, I do not believe software timing will improve the sound. I have never experienced the effect and I did two DBT tests (hi carcass93, do not forget to jump in :-) ). One changing RT priority, another changing playback latency.

==========
Then why is it that so many people actually do [believe] they hear a difference in sound? I suppose even the Windows Fiderlizer should not effect sound either. I know you probably think your logic is solid and should therefore rule over reality, but its just not so...
==========

Show me results of a credible DBT result which confirms it is not only about believing. I have asked for them countless times, to no avail. Setting up a blind test in linux is simple since everything can be easily scripted. A trivial script of mine to start from is freely available at http://blog.ivitera.com/pavel/linux-audio/tool-for-ab-testing .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.