Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Synergistic Research Tranquility Base/MacBook Pro

When I first read about the introduction of the Synergistic Research Tranquility Base at the last CES, I was somewhat skeptical that a platform could condition a computer by simply placing it on the platform. But having previously been impressed with Ted Denney’s creations while visiting his factory, I was more than willing to give this platform an audition.

The Synergistic Research Tranquility Base allows one to place active components on the base for active signal conditioning within the component. First developed for computer conditioning, it has proved to be equally successful with other audio components. I will be focusing my review solely on the Tranquility Base used with my Early 2011 MacBook Pro. My MacBook Pro is a 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core with 16 GB RAM and an OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SATA 3 drive for the operating system. The Music library is on a Promise Pegasus 4TB Thunderbolt drive. The DAC used for the review is a Wavelength Crimson HS with Denominator module and Silver transformers. The excellent Pure Music 1.86 with OSX Lion was used in both listening sessions.

The Tranquility Base is beautifully finished with Aluminum sides and Plexiglas top and bottom. The base has a 9 layer laminate for mechanical isolation, a Ground plane, and Active Signal Control. The Base comes with 6 MIGs (Mechanical Interface Grounding) footers. 3 are placed beneath the base, and 3 beneath the component. They can be tuned depending if they are placed up or down. The Base has a Ground Wire that plugs into the base and the other end into the AC. The Base is powered by an MPC (Mini Power Coupler) that is plugged into your AC. There are 2 Enigma Bullets provided for fine tuning the sound. In summary, there are 3 connections to the Base; the Ground, MPC, and the Enigma Bullet.

One should experiment with the MIGs and Enigma Bullets for optimum sound. I found this process easy with minimal effort. The MPC provided can be upgraded to the Galileo Mini Power Coupler for an additional $400. This provides enhancement in sound staging, definition, noise reduction, with greater clarity than the standard MPC provides. I used both MPC units and felt that the Galileo was a significant upgrade.

There are three models of the Tranquility Base. There is a Basik model for $998, The Tranquility Base I purchased for $1998, and a larger XL model for $2998. Ted recommends that the computer and hard drive be placed on the Base. His advertising shows a Mac Mini and a Western Digital HD sitting on a Tranquility Basik.

The 1st day listening session:

The first title I played was Carl Kidd Tell Me Once Again. A Linn 192/24 recording that features Carol Kidd’s singing with a guitarist. The most obvious change to the sound with the Tranquility Base powered on was a larger soundstage. The soundstage was not exaggerated, but wider, deeper with greater sense of height. Carol’s voice was projected forward into the room. Turning off the Base resulted in a significant collapse of the acoustic space with Carol’s voice and the guitar now sounding somewhat two-dimensional. The background was darker with the Base energized.

I then played Patricia Barber Modern Cool MFSL SACD rip 176.4/24. The soundstage became very holographic in presentation with a slight reduction in hardness of the piano with the Base. Voices were projected into the room with a greater sense of ease and dimensionality. Instruments and voices were better defined with the Base.

Fourplay 96/24 and Fouplay Energy SACD rip 176.4/24 displayed stronger, better defined dynamic bass with greater slam with the Base. As with the other two titles, the soundstage opened up considerably. Also, the midrange and high end were smoother with superior resolution when listening with the Base.

Don Grusin The Hang, a 96/24 DVD-A rip was “energized” by the Tranquility Base. This live recording’s acoustic space opened up with the Base and provided better high end detail with increased smoothness in the sound. The dynamics with the Base were quite astounding.

The Reference Recording 176.4/24 HRx Exotic Dances from the Opera with Eije Oue sounded more open and alive with the Base. The Base not only provided a huge soundstage, but instruments within the soundstage were more easily identified particularly front-to-back perspective. It also appeared that background noise was reduced by the Base.

The 2nd day listening session:

I invited two friends, both hard core computer audiophiles that own fine systems. I enlisted them for the “blind testing”; not telling them when the Base was on or off. We listened to a variety of music - James Taylor, Dave Alvin, Alison Krauss, Stevie Wonder all ripped SACDs at 176.4/24. Several Reference Recordings HRx titles 176.4/24, and several HDtracks titles 192/24 including Fleetwood Mac and Cat Stevens were also listened to.

The boys had no problems identifying the Base every time. It is really a night and day difference. Both easily heard the soundstage changes with the Base. Dr. Bob felt that the midrange definition was vastly improved. Both of my friends heard the same things that I had heard the previous day.

The Synergistic Research Tranquility Base has been a real eye opener for this audiophile. The improvement that the Base delivers is substantial and easily heard. The Tranquility Base allows one’s DAC to fully realize it’s potential. I don’t feel that the Base will turn a $200 DAC into a $20,000 DAC, but the Tranquility Base will get the best out of your present DAC. The Wavelength Crimson HS/ Denominator puts out one of the finest soundstages in the business. I was amazed at how much better the soundstage sounded with the Base. Bass had more impact and was more dynamic in presentation. The noise level dropped with enhanced “black” background. Highs and midrange were not only more detailed and transparent, but smoother sounding. The Tranquility Base delivers the goods promised by Synergistic Research.

After a great deal of consultation with Lucy, she has decided to award this product her highest rating of Four Paws Up.

Thanks to Peter Hansen, the National Sales and Marketing Director at Synergistic Research, for delivering the Tranquility Base and showing me the fine points of setup. I have no financial relationship with Synergistic Research. My Tranquility Base was purchased from The Cable Company.

Steve

Edits: 03/23/12 03/23/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Synergistic Research Tranquility Base/MacBook Pro - Mercman 11:05:37 03/23/12 (158)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.