Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

It's not a 2 bit truth.

It's the paradox of computer audio "tweaking and optimizing".

If you have networking, internet access (worse if wireless), windows security center, realtime anti-virus, realtime anti-malware and God knows what else in your startup program list, then optimizing from this starting point is a waste of time IMO.

If you're running a stripped down OS, a HDD for storage and a audiointerface for playback (or digital out) and nothing else, then I would say an attempt at process-by-process minimialization would then have merit, or at least make sense.

I know you are probably running a software-minimal machine, so knocking off processes you are not using is sensible to me. People putting 'mag wheels and a spoiler on a minivan' and expecting high performance are kidding themselves. If you've done this minimalization like I think you have then you know that many processes have dependencies with crss.exe and svchost.exe and these dependencies are not always intuitive. You also may have discovered that when you get down to real minimal setups, you can run into a service dependency meltdown. That's when you are trying to build "almost minimalist" systems and keep just "one or two" things - like network, or internet. In those cases I have found that attempts to minimalize can actually make the machine run WORSE because when service dependencies are interrupted, this is WORSE that just having them working in the background or sitting idle.

I've done these experiments with different "levels" of minimalization and I speak from experience here (with Windows XP). I can only imagine that minimalization on Vista/Win 7 is more, and not less, complicated.

Essentially, a computer with LESS processes is not definitively better than a computer with a few more than also has no service dependency issues. Latency can go up substantially the more depenencies are broken.

Cheers,
Presto

Edits: 03/22/12 03/22/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.