Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

All lossless CODECs are variable bit rate

"I've noticed that at least some of my FLAC files are Variable Bit Rate. Is it possible that decoding the VBR file introduces more jitter than when decoding the Constant Bit Rate WAV file?"

I agree with your comment about variable rate CODECs potentially introducing jitter. They require an extra level of buffering in the playback program and there will be more frequencies involved in the buffer reloading processes, so if the underlying hardware (computer, sound card and DAC) are not excellent there will be jitter introduced by the more complex data flow.

All FLAC files are variable bit rate. Indeed all lossless CODECs are variable bit rate. This can be proven mathematically:

"Lossless data compression algorithms cannot guarantee compression for all input data sets. In other words, for any (lossless) data compression algorithm, there will be an input data set that does not get smaller when processed by the algorithm. This is easily proven with elementary mathematics using a counting argument, as follows:..."

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.