Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Why no "reasonably" priced USB Dacs?

I was able, finally, to win an auction for a Constantine USB at "my" price and it arrived last week. I brought it to the office this morning and it is now in my office system. I mated it with a Zu Bok power cord and run it out through my Musical Fidelity X-10v3.

Immediately, I notice that it has a gazillion times the gain of my M-Audio USB and I have to keep throttling back so my colleagues don't kill me. It's been in use about two hours now and the sound is both brighter and more "detailed" than the M-Audio, but not much airier. There also is more bass, which may be due mostly to the power cord, which can be pretty "bassy." I suspect that is a limitation of the sources (thus far only MP3) and the current speakers (Klipsch iFi). I expect things to change as the DAC and cord break in and as I switch over time to FLAC on an external drive. I might also disconnect the tube buffer to see if that makes things better or even "different." For now, though, I am encouraged by what I've heard from a product that is a couple of hours old.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Why no "reasonably" priced USB Dacs? - Mike Rubin 10:19:40 04/23/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.