Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

So far, it's been "easy" -- HD based system

I decided about a month ago I'd like to convert all my CDs to lossless HD files and find a good way to play these on my audio system.

So, I read and read and read some more. I asked questions, looked up websites, read online guides and reviews. The more I read the more confusing it got. So, I decided to ACT.

I felt I must make some decisions upfront that could effect things for a very long time. It was a bit worrying -- all those decisions -- but here's what I did:

1. Ordered a Mac Mini (I'm a 24 year PC veteran from Dos 1.1 to Vista)
2. Bought a 320 Gig External Firewire HD (MyBook)
3. Ordered a Slim Devices Squeezebox
4. Started ripping CDs in Apple Lossless format in iTunes (might switch to Max for ripping)

After hooking up my Dell 19" LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse to a Belkin KVM and then sharing these items with both computers (Dell and Mac Mini) I simply plugged in the Mac and boom, I was going with both computers at the touch of a button on my desktop.

It took 30 mins tops to set up the Mac and 10 min max to get the Squeezebox playing music on my stereo from the HD. I'm currently using the internal DAC with the SB3, but I plan to purchase a DAC next.

So far, everything is working. Everything is sounding good. And, everything is working exactly as planned. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop!

As I was doing this, I realized that I had plenty of "extra" PCs lying around and I could have just as easily hung the firewire drive off of one of those and done this whole project for less than $500. But, heck, starting with a whole new computer system is pretty fun and instructive, too.

If you are on the fence about doing this... I say get down off the fence and get planning and get going. Heck, the planning and reading was 100 times harder than just doing it.

Paul Green

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - So far, it's been "easy" -- HD based system - creativepart 15:09:37 03/28/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.