Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Apple TV.

So I broke down and bought one.

My media network consisted of a dedicated iMac music server with 2 TB of external firewire storage containing my entire music collection (about 1800 CDs) feeding a USB dac in my main system. This server, via an Airport Extreme, also fed two AEx's (feeding 'lesser' stereo systems), one in the living room and one in the bedroom, controlled by a Macbook. The Apple TV now replaces the AEx in the living room.

I've got it hooked up to to a HT system in the living room via component video to the tv (my tv's HDMI ports are used) and Toslink to the preamp. Setup was simple and painless, and the GUI is the best I've seen (it's a more powerful version of Front Row minus the DVD controls). It can store media on it's own HD via syncing, or stream from a remote computer(s) (kind of like switching sources on a preamp).

How does it sound? Sounds just as good as the AEx it replaced. The bonus is not having to use the Macbook anymore. It's basically reading from the iMac music server which I leave on 24/7.

In terms of video, I loaded it with some digital stills, home videos, and iTunes-downloaded music videos. Navigation and access is idiot-proof. PQ is dependent on the native resolution of the source file, although I have the video output set to 1080i.

All in all, it's a cool novelty. So far. Once they open up the USB port to HD's and other peripherals, things could get fun.

--I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for some new music today.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Apple TV. - Crimson 15:01:16 03/26/07 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.