Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Cheapstake alternative to Headroom Deskop Amp?

I just posted this inquiry in the Digital Forum, but it seems apt here, too. I checked the rules and did not see a prohibition against posting in two forums at once, but if it is boorish to do so, I will delete one or the other if I can figure out how to do that. Please forgive me in the meantime.

Anyway, I've been drooling over the Headroom Deskop Amp for use in a computer desktop system at my office. It would bridge from the computer to active monitors and also be the input selector when i want to use an Olive server to which the computer can't stream wirelessly at the office. I like the Headroom's combination of USB input, decent DAC, two analogue inputs, input selector, and volume control. However, configured properly, that is nearly two grand's worth of "fun" and I can't really defend an expenditure like that for this application.

Do you know if anyone make a fairly decent but less expensive substitutable product? If the computer can use a USB connection, I only need one other RCA input, an input toggle, and a volume control. (I can do without optical and coax inputs, although I have yet to see a unit with only USB and not the others, so I guess those are likely to be there anyway, and I don't care at all about headphones in this application). Something similar to the Channel Islands Audio passive controller with a USB input and internal DAC would do the trick.

Thanks for any leads.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Cheapstake alternative to Headroom Deskop Amp? - Mike Rubin 17:56:51 03/22/07 (10)

You can not post to an archived thread.